Fantastic musical evening at the Ag Hall Saturday Night

The Mayne Island Music Society concert last night featuring Whidbey Island, Washington's Billet-Deux was just excellent all around. The Hall was packed with folks who appreciated the show and stayed right to the end.


Jurgen Gothe was a great emcee, humorous and entertaining. The opening act, Vox Trium, with Mayne Islanders, Gail Noonan, Lael Whitehead and Steve Cropper featured some beautiful harmonies and witty music, including Gail's catchy tune, "Sourdough Starter", that I've now got stuck in my head.

Although I didn't partake in the food myself that was offered by chef Volter Jendhoff, it looked great and I was told it was very tasty. And how nice to be able to have a glass of wine or beer with the show.


Billet-Deux just knocked me off my feet. Utterly masterful musicians all, playing with a ton of confidence and in complete sync with each other. The style was Django-inspired "Gypsy" Jazz but with a repertoire that included a tour through modern jazz history and even a brilliant solo cello rendition of George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". A number of pieces written by the group members were all played with skill and soul. All-in-all one of the best evenings of live music I've experienced here on Mayne.
Thanks to all who brought it together and to the Mayne Island Music Society.

All photos above courtesy of Toby Snelgrove www.tobography.com

Posted October 2009

2 comments:

  1. I added another photo from Toby, of Jurgen on stage with his stuffed cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great night ... the best of the year ... in this venue ... food and wind was a delightful addition

    ReplyDelete